Monday 28 February 2011

Riding a foreign wave (cont.)

Part 4: Fancy finding lost treasures?


An upside of independence is you have the time (too much time even!) to research tips and tricks for different areas. Or you have enough motivation to find shortcuts, innovative ways that would save you time (although you have plenty), money (especially when the Sterling is ever strong against your currency) and effort in the future. Over time, I have learned a trade or two. Among those are bargain hunting skill, Internet scouting skill, "student tag" deploying skill and many more...


The main reason behind all these is the ever-growing bond between me and my laptop. Even though I am well aware of the health consequences of glueing my eyes to the screen, somehow it is just an indispensable part of overseas studying. Such a cliche to say but now I can truly understand and value the magical power of technology. I even come to the conclusion that it is a 2-way process: I am dependent on it but it also depends on users like me to thrive. For instance, what is the point of having a website full of money-saving coupons if no one wants them? 
More than just for long-distance communication


Whether it being receiving health treatment, buying insurance, purchasing tickets, I've learned to try my luck by saying: "I'm a student. Am I entitled to some sort of discount?". Most of the time, the answer would be yes. Sometimes when I'm in the "pestering" mode, an upfront no could be swayed! And I swear with all my student's heart, it feels as good as receiving a first class degree.

No comments: